For everyone, values are the basis for our beliefs and actions. This truth is of even greater importance for a police department and its members. Above all, we are expected to adhere to a higher standard of conduct; a standard in keeping with the special public trust each of us is given. We are required to meet the highest standards of public service in the most difficult of circumstances. Honor and courage are the foundation for this obligation.
By stating our values as a department we declare our commitment to them. We offer them to our community to ensure all may know the basis for all that we seek to do to ensure the quality of life in Friendswood. We acknowledge and affirm that they are our guides in every phase of the work we do, the decisions we make.
Our values are not negotiable. Although we may need to balance them, they will not be ignored for expediency or personal preference. We recognize that by stating our values we must work every day to give them life and meaning in all situations.
Declaration of Values
What we do and how we do it may change. But in these values we believe it will always be possible to remain clear and steadfast on why we serve and protect this community. To that end we, the men and women of the Friendswood Police Department, declare that we value:
- Human Life
- Laws and the Constitution
- Problem Solving
We value human life and dignity above all else. Therefore:
- We give first priority to situations which threaten life.
- We use force only when necessary.
- We treat all persons with courtesy and respect.
- We are compassionate and caring.
We believe integrity is the basis for community trust. Therefore:
- We are honest and truthful.
- We are consistent in our beliefs and actions.
- We hold ourselves to high standards of moral and ethical conduct.
- We are role models for the community.
We believe in the principles embodied in our Constitution. We recognize the authority of federal, state and local laws. Therefore:
- We respect and protect the rights of all citizens.
- We treat all persons fairly and without favoritism.
- We are knowledgeable of the law.
- We enforce the law.
- We obey the law.
We strive for personal and professional excellence. Therefore:
- We do our best every day.
- We have a vision for the future.
- We seek adequate resources:
- We train and develop employees to their highest potential.
- We are committed to fair and equitable personnel practices.
- We recognize and reward good performance.
- We support reasonable risk-taking and are tolerant of honest mistakes.
- We are receptive to new ideas and to change.
- We work toward realistic, mutually agreed upon goals.
- We meet nationally recognized law enforcement standards.
- We lead by example and demonstrated competence.
We are accountable to each other and to the citizens we serve, who are the ultimate source of our authority. Therefore:
- We communicate openly and honestly among ourselves and with the community.
- We understand the importance of community values and expectations.
- We are responsive to community concerns.
- We manage our resources effectively.
- We thoroughly investigate complaints against our employees.
We believe that cooperation and teamwork will enable us to combine our diverse backgrounds, skills and styles to achieve common goals. Therefore:
- We work as a team.
- We understand our role in achieving Department and City goals and objectives.
- We share our responsibility to serve the citizens of Friendswood with many other agencies and organizations.
- We strive to understand those who disagree with us.
- We seek the help and cooperation of others.
- We seek to resolve conflicts.
- We rely on community support and involvement.
We are most effective when we help identify and solve community problems. Therefore:
- We work to anticipate and prevent problems.
- We give high priority to preventing crime and helping citizens feel safe.
- We actively seek opinions and ideas from others.
- We plan, analyze and evaluate.
- We recognize that crime and disorder are community problems.
- We listen to problems and complaints with empathy and sensitivity.
- We actively seek innovative solutions.
We are capable, caring people who are doing important and satisfying work for the citizens of Friendswood. Therefore:
- We respect, care about, trust and support each other.
- We enjoy our work and take pride in our accomplishments.
- We are disciplined and reliable.
- We balance our professional and personal lives.
- We consult the people who will be affected by our decisions.
- We have a positive, "can do" attitude.
- We cultivate our best characteristics