Commonly Asked Questions

Who does the City Attorney work for?
Under the City Charter, the City Attorney is directly appointed by the City Council and serves at the pleasure of the Council. The City Attorney also provides legal advice and support for the City Council and all City Officers and employees related to their acts, which are within the course and scope of their employment or official duties.

Can the City Attorney provide legal advice to private citizens?
No, the City Attorney is legally prohibited from representing individuals in private legal matters. The City Attorney only represents City officials, departments, agencies, and employees in the course of their official acts or business. For general questions or if seeking legal representation, you may call the Texas Bar Association at 1 (800) 252-9690.

Who do I call to report a possible crime or code violation?
Reports or complaints concerning violations of laws and/or codes occurring within the City limits should be made to the Friendswood City Police Department by calling (281) 996-3300.

What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?
The City Attorney is appointed by the City Council of the City of Friendswood. The attorney in the office provides legal advice and services to the City Council, its officials, departments, employees, boards and commissions. A District Attorney is an elected official who investigates and prosecutes criminal activities throughout the county.  

How can I get a copy of the City of Friendswood Charter and/or Code of Ordinances?
Visit the City’s website, or access the site by going to the Charter / City Ordinances. Hard copies of codes or a particular ordinance may also be obtained from the City Secretary’s Office through the public information request process.