Winter Fire Safety
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet from things that can burn.
- Keep children at least 3 feet from space heaters.
- Turn space heaters off when you go to bed or leave the room.
- Plug space heaters directly into wall outlets and never into an extension cord or power strip.
- Purchase and use space heaters that have an automatic shut-off—if they tip over, they shut off.
- Purchase and use heaters that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory.
- Choose a carbon monoxide (CO) alarm that is listed by a qualified testing laboratory. Install and maintain CO alarms inside your home to provide early warning of carbon monoxide.
Any open flame is dangerous. If possible, use battery-operated candles, which can look, smell and feel like real candles. If you use candles in your home, prevent a fire by following these tips:
- Put candles in sturdy holders.
- Place candles at least 12 inches away from anything that can burn.
- Make sure candles cannot be reached by children or pets.
- Blow out all candles if you leave the room, get sleepy, or go to bed.