Will the city adjust my bill because of a leak?

The City of Friendswood does offer a one-time adjustment due to a leak. This does not apply to defective or out-of-repair faucets or other plumbing fixtures such as toilets.

You must complete an Application for Excusable Defect and return to the billing office after you receive your bill reflecting the leak. The process can take up to two weeks and the due date of the bill does not change.

Show All Answers

1. How do I set up water service?
2. What utility services does the city offer?
3. How much is the deposit and what is it for?
4. How can I pay for the deposit?
5. How long do you keep the deposit?
6. What is a letter of credit?
7. How do I obtain a letter of credit?
8. How soon can I get water service?
9. Why is my bill so high?
10. How often do you bill?
11. Why do I have a balance forward on my bill?
12. Can I get a bill every month versus every other month?
13. Can I pay my bill over the phone?
14. Can I pay my bill online?
15. How do I sign up for the City of Friendswood Watersmart Portal?
16. Do I have a leak?
17. How can I fix my leak?
18. Will the city adjust my bill because of a leak?
19. Do I get a 'break' on filling my swimming pool?