New and improved fire stations benefit Friendswood residents - Home

Translate

Follow Us

Local Weather

New and improved fire stations benefit Friendswood residents

Date: August 17, 2017

Two more City of Friendswood bond-funded projects are completed. In November 2013, voters approved $6.565 million for two projects: improving, expanding and equipping Fire Station Number 4 (111 Woodlawn Drive), and designing, constructing, and equipping a new fire station next to the Public Safety Building on Whitaker Drive. Both projects were accepted by the Friendswood City Council at their July meeting. 

 

Previously, Council voted unanimously to name the new facility the “Kenneth M. Camp Fire Station.” Mr. Camp served on the first Friendswood City Council (1961) and was elected Mayor the following year. He was also City Fire Marshal and Civil Defense Director. He joined the Friendswood Volunteer Fire Department (FVFD) in 1959 and served in numerous roles, including Assistant Fire Chief, Fire Captain, EMS Captain, and President, before his retirement from the FVFD in 2006. He passed away in July 2015.

 

Groundbreaking for the 20,000 square foot facility happened in April 2016. Compared to the Station 1 (between City Hall and Stevenson Park) it is replacing, the Camp Fire Station 1 was built for FVFD now and decades into the future. It has areas designed to withstand severe weather, sheltering more fire and EMS staff safely. It also contains an extra indoor bay, allowing more Fire Department and EMS vehicles to be parked inside, extending their lifespan. Larger, modern areas allow increased training capacity and resident services.

 

Please continue to use 911 for emergencies and 281-996-3360 for FVFD non-emergencies.