In 2013, Friendswood City Council requested feedback from some volunteers called the “Friendswood Bond Advisory Group” after they researched the City’s existing facilities and needs.
Council asked voters to consider propositions for bond funding in four major: fire stations, the Library, parks and streets. Voters approved all four in November 2013.
Each month, City Council receives an update on the projects. This is the March 2017 update:
PROPOSITION NO. 1
THE ISSUANCE OF $6,565,000 TAX BONDS FOR DESIGNING, improving, expanding and equipping City Fire Station Number 4 and designing, constructing, improving and equipping a new fire station ADJACENT TO THE PUBLIC SAFETY BUILDING in the City.
PROPOSITION NO. 2
THE ISSUANCE OF $2,525,000 TAX BONDS FOR the purpose of DESIGNING, improving and expanding the municipal library.
PROPOSITION NO. 3
THE ISSUANCE OF $7,285,000 TAX BONDS for the purpose of DESIGNING, improving and expanding parks and recreational facilities in the City, and the acquisition of land and interests in land for such purposes, INCLUDING IMPROVEMENTS TO AND EXPANSION OF, CENTENNIAL PARK, LAKE FRIENDSWOOD, SPORTS PARK, STEVENSON PARK AND THE ACQUISITION AND IMPROVEMENT OF LAND FOR NEW PARKS IN THE CITY.
PROPOSITION NO. 4
THE ISSUANCE OF $7,710,000 TAX BONDS for ROAD AND STREET IMPROVEMENTS in the City, including, but not limited to, improving Blackhawk BOULEVARD, Mary Ann DRIVE, Shadow Bend AVENUE, Townes Road, Winding Road and Woodlawn DRIVE.
The list of uncompleted Bond-funded projects is getting shorter. In 2013, voters approved spending in four categories: fire stations, the Library, parks, and streets. A number of projects have been completed. Still in progress are:
- the new 20,000 square-foot Kenneth M. Camp Fire Station, at 1610 Harold Whitaker Drive. It is expected to be completed in July 2017.
- expansion of Fire Station 4, at 111 Woodlawn Drive, is expected to be completed in July 2017,
- the Centennial Park Basketball Pavilion is expected to be completed in April 2017,
- Winding Road is under construction now, and expected to be completed May 2017, and,
- Woodlawn Drive and Blackhawk Boulevard are under design, with no construction start date yet.
Friendswood City Council receives an update on each of these projects at their regular monthly meetings.